Tuesday, 17 March 2015

Mummy goes back to school

I'm not talking about the time of year where we buy the new black school shoes, bag, lunchboxes, adhesive name labels and label everything in hopes it will make its way home by the end of the term.

No I'm talking about mummy and her desire to learn. 

This post is here to reassure that little voice in your head. JUST DO IT MAMA! Because you know you can, you know you should. You know you want to. 

A few years ago I was uninspired and Googling around. That is never a safe move. But instead of buying a bag and some shoes I don't need I enrolled into online university. If you are curious what course I enrolled in, it's Librarianship at Curtin Universtiy, via Open Universities.

I hadn't really had an in depth discussion or internal dialogue about this. I mean, I'm a smart girl. I try not to down play it and dumb myself down. If I caught my daughters engaging in any behaviour or situation where their true intelligence was down played, I would be mortified. There is nothing wrong with being a smart girl. 

So online university just made sense to me. It just didn't come with any questions or queries.



Fast forward to today, I've begun my final year subjects and am in the midst of scouting locations for my third year practicum.

With deep dismay, blogging has taken a back seat but only for now, while I learn to juggle an extra ball in my already amazing juggling act that I do on the daily.

There are many other mothers in my course. Some have one child. Some have seven and live on the farm with lots of animals, and I'm being totally serious. One great thing about mothers is that we work hard. We might post discussions at weird hours. We might have editing issues because more than likely we are multitasking. Yes I have been known to breastfeed whilst frantically working on assessments. In the end we get it done. And that's all that matters.

My units this study period are all about management. I've never been a manager, but I feel like 'running' my family is kind of on the same level. I just have to keep on top of things, make sure people are doing what they need to do, or are heading to where they need to be and have with them all the things they need. Every day, all the time.

I've got great problem solving skills and wonderful interpersonal skills. Time managements is like breathing to me. Efficiency is my middle name.

Bottom line ladies, listen to that voice and don't down play your skills and wisdom. A strong, smart woman is a capable woman, and a capable woman can change the world.
Mummascribbles
Step 72,

4 comments:

  1. Kudos to you Sarah! I think you are completely right about two things... firstly, I had never looked at it that way but yes!!! Why do we dumb ourselves down - I do it all the time. I have two undergraduate degrees and a masters degree and when I talk about them, I make it sound like it was a silly little thing I did - I worked bloody hard for those qualifications and I too would be sad if I ever heard my girls talk about their achievements like that. The second thing was your comment about mother's working hard and getting things done - oh yeah! As I ease into my third week since returning to work, I'm very quickly learning that! Anyway, congrats for getting to your final year! I know you'll fly through it with flying colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 under grads and a masters?? how.. I mean like when did you find the time... never mind! you did it and I'm surprised you aren't ruling the whole world by now :)

      Delete
  2. Good for you Sarah!!! BRILLIANT!!! You are absolutely to be applauded!!

    I'm absolutely with you on the juggling front. My life is SO busy — home-life, the twins, running my business, blogging — plus I'm learning new skills all the time. Sometimes there really don't seem to be enough hours in the day and I despair that I'm ever going to get it all done, but I really believe that a fulfilled parent is a happy parent!

    Well done for following your gut and taking on another challenge.

    My favourite quote is 'if you want something doing, give it to a busy person' — that absolutely applies to you! x Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday x

    Caro | www.thetwinklediaries.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that quote is fabulous! I need to print that out and frame it! have a busy yet productive week Caro :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...