Monday, 12 January 2015

Menu Monday #1

Thanks for popping in. Ready to make yourself even hungrier than you already are? Well I personally always feel hungry. I might need to see someone about that...

menu food recipes
Menu Planning Mondays



I've decided to dedicate Mondays to our menu for the week. A big advocate for menu planning, I just simply don't know any other way to cook or go grocery shopping. Hopefully this will inspire me to branch out and cook different recipes and hopefully it inspires you to implement a bit of menu planning into your lives. It feels good to always have an answer when the kids start whining "whaaaaats for diiiinnneeerrr muuummmyyyyyy?" I will also list the ingredients I had lying around which inspired the recipe and links if there are any.

Gule

Gule is an Indonesian curry served with rice. Nothing too special here. I have a sachet of the curry paste lying around so all i had to buy was some lamb pieces and coconut milk. This is the type of recipe that you put on the stove in the morning and leave it simmering all day so by dinner the flavours have developed and it looks like you tried really hard

Steak, baked potato and veges.

With a whole bunch of spices in my pantry I found a great recipe for a spice rub. With a bag of potatoes staring at me and a tub of sour cream crying for attention, baked potato as a side dish is perfect. With a bag of frozen veges I'm desperate to work my way through, throw on some mushroom sauce (which Is where the sour cream comes in again) and  you have a meal.

Chicken schnitzel with roast veges and sauce. 

Schnitzel has to be a favourite, repeat meal in this home. Roast whatever veges i have in my fridge (this week its potato, carrot and zucchini). My secret (or maybe Jamie Oliver's) to awesome roasted potatoes is to boil them for 5 mins first and then once drained put them back in the pot with olive oil, seasoning and herbs, close the pan and toss the potatoes do they have a rough texture which roasts so much better in the oven. The outside will be crisp and the inside will be soft. I have a tin of instant sauce which only requires boiling water and my secret to awesome schnitzel is homemade bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Yum!

Sesame beef stirfry.

This recipe is so easy to make with a bottle of sesame oil and a broccoli for inspiration. I tend to tweak this recipe to whatever is in my fridge. That's what i love about a stir fry, its whatever!

Prawn avocado toastie with tuna patties.

I had a bottle of seafood sauce and lots of tins of tuna and no idea what to do with it. I thought I could spread the sauce on some toast with some peeled prawns and sliced avocado with some tuna patties made with mashed potato (there's that magical ingredient again) on the side and that to me is a meal! You said you can't have toast for dinner?

Balsamic garlic chicken with sun dried tomato couscous. 

I have a bottle of balsamic vinegar sitting around so be prepared for many balsamic recipes. I also had jars of sun dried tomatoes and capers in the fridge which would make a great side dish with couscous.

Wow yum! Super hungry now!! Do you have any favourite or repeat meals that are a must eat?





Step 5,

3 comments:

  1. I'm hungry...but then I always am too...! Even when I'm eating. Oh dear. That menu looks fab...I've realised that I actually have no idea what schnitzel is, even though I've been singing about it in Sound of Music since I was little...time to google that one :) hope you have a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! I think of lunch while I eat breakfast :) Schnitzel is a life changer!! Its basically chicken thats been floured, then egg washed then dipped in bread crumbs and fried. I like to put herbs and parmesan cheese into the bread crumbs for extra flavour and crunch. Let me know if you give it go! xx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely week! Chicken schnitzel is something I keep meaning to try so thanks for sharing how you make it above :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...