Friday, 30 January 2015

I am a Striking Mum!

Kate on Thin Ice knows that 2015 is the year for Mums everywhere! This is the year we put ourselves back on the to do list above things like the dirty dishes and those commitments we didn't want to commit to.
I used to live with a lot of guilt. If my house was not impeccable I felt guilty. If things got chaotic or disorganised I felt at fault. I put a lot of pressure on myself and in the long run everyone suffers. Mentally, emotionally and physically drained, you can imagine the type of mother and wife I was. I was snappy, rude and I noticed my kids distancing themselves from me. This is the year i pick my battles and i reorganise my priorities. Do my kids really need to go to swim classes, tae kwon do and dance classes? No. If this pile of clothes is not put away right now will anything bad happen? No. Do I want to put my kids happiness and my sanity above all else? Yes. 
I thought I would join in on the link and answer some questions that put me on the to do list for. Few moments.


1. Look at an old photograph of yourself. How does it make you feel? What hopes and dreams did that person have? What things did they enjoy doing? What might this person say to you now?
This photo is of me (in the hat) when I was 17 and best friends when I was in year 12, so the final year of high school. That year was stressful. With final exams and the end of high school coming up and deciding what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, I didn't need any extra stress. My best friends don't go to the same school as me and I was having major drama with my group at school. Looking back at the end of high school I had basically "lost" three quarters of my school friends. We're all good now but looking back it was all so silly. At this stage I really thought the world was my oyster and I could do anything I wanted. I had a major passion for design and had applied at some of the top universities in any design courses they offered. I really thought I could do it. I had THAT much belief in myself and very little doubts. I was ambitious. I loved spending my time getting lost in a book, discovering new music and spending time with friends. Oh my gosh, I remember me and my best friends were in the works of creating our of fashion brand. Wow we really thought we could do it all. This person would tell me now,
"Don't rush. Listen to your gut. He is not good for you. You will get there in due time. Don't doubt yourself, you are more capable than you know. Learn when to say no and when to say yes. Mum and dad just want whats best for you. Always respect yourself. Don't follow the crowd, they will take you places you don't want to go. Stay true to yourself."
2. How will you carve out time for yourself and your interests in 2015?
As I said earlier, I will learn to let the house work slide a little so I can have the time to do things that I want to do, and I can relax once in while. Once the kids are asleep, go for it! I will do what I WANT TO DO. Even if its something silly like watch youtube videos till 1 am or eat 2 and a half donuts. Or something more productive like plan blogposts and consider moving to Wordpress self hosted. It's whatever I want to do.
3. What would you like to change about the way you look? What can you celebrate now about your own individual beauty?
I would like my outfits to look more cohesive. I never quite feel like my outfits make sense. I would also like to take care of my skin a little more, eg, drink more water and do an at home facial once in a while. I've felt the need to wear less makeup. That may be due to less concern about how I look and more focus on how I am as a person, it may also be due to a lack of time or the fact that its summer and therefore very hot. Either way I just feel more comfortable in my own skin.
4. What are your personal goals for 2015? Who or what can help you achieve them?
Well blogging was a big goal of 2015 and I have a friend who works in marketing for Google so I'm sure she could help me. My goals mainly rely on my and my personal choice to follow through on them. I think by setting smaller goals, they should help me move towards my bigger goals. 

Feel free to join in on the link up for all you Striking Mums!
Kate on thin Ice Striking Mums

Step 24,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...